Sunday, October 3, 2010

Jerrican+Dosing Pump Auto Water Change Implemented

Just finished a 30L water change, manual with hoses and siphon... hopefully my last ;-) .

After the partial water change finished I implemented an automatic 'continuous' water change with my dosing pumps (the BFG9000, remember?) and a pair of plastic jerricans.

In the picture, from left to right:
- Jerrican into which I pump old SW removed everytime the pumps turn on. That happens every 30 minutes, pump on for 1 minute, removing 54ml. Equates to a daily 1% water change.
- Small green bottle with Vodka, which is dosed at 1ml every 12 hours.
- Jerrican from which the pump pulls new SW and sends it to the tank. 1 min every 30 min (54 ml).
- Freshwater (RO/DI) auto top off jerrican, this one activated by water level sensors and with a dedicated little pump in the jerrican.

I measured the water before the changes and basic params were good: pH=8.4, NO3=1.25ppm, PO4=0.1ppm and salinity=1.025.

I didn't measure Alk or Mg for I was only looking for water polution. Also, I intend to start checking tomorrow the Alk and Mg consumption of the tank with the continuous water change. Then I'll dose manually to compensate and afterwards setup the last dosing pump to supply automatically whatever is most consumed daily.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.2

3 comments:

  1. What will you dose with? I'm installing an automatic top-off today. So sick of daily water refills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dose Alk with Red Sea Success Coral Buff and magnesium with several different products/brands (as they become available at the LFS). However, I like Seachem aquavitro ions best. Up to today it has given me the best results (best increase in Mg concentration per product dosed).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dosing pump

    Great job done by author. Information helps me a lot to improve my skills. Thanks for the author for sharing. Please keep posting.

    ReplyDelete