Saturday, April 24, 2010

Have some ball anemones in the tank

I had these strange small "anemone-looking" guys in my tank, which I had never got a solid ID on, and recently I got a good enough picture of one that enabled folk at ReefCentral to ID it.
This is a small creature, the photo is a significant zoom.  The width of the disk you see is about 7mm, maximum.

It is a pseudocorynactis caribbeorum, or "ball anemone".  Apparently harmless. Mine has white tips and a fairly colorless, transparent, body.  A little hint of orange, but just a hint.

A few months ago I only had one, the one pictured above.  When I added the Palythoa colony I got another as a hitchhiker on the rock.  That one has become three on the same rock.... and they are hard to photograph because of the position in the tank and on the rock that hosts them.

Update on the Six Line Wrasse: he put the Orchid Dottyback to run in no time... the Dottyback is now hiding in a cave it had stolen from the Rainfordi Goby.... I hope it gets bolder as it gets hungry, and leaves the cave to feed and to reclaim some territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment